Search This Blog

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Healthy Pregnancy ~ Food Fitness and Feeling Good


“You’re pregnant eat what you want, you’re allowed!” How many times have we heard this or something similar? Then the whole “Don’t workout unless you were already working out before you got pregnant”. The list of what you can/can’t/should/shouldn’t do is downright confusing for expecting moms!

With my first child I stayed fairly active, did prenatal yoga and craved protein so I ended up gaining the recommended average 27 pounds. Then with my second child vegetables made me sick and I would try to do some cardio but consistently gained a pound a week no matter what so I gave up which equaled ummmm eeeek 44 pounds! Having been knee deep in the battle against the baby weight when I found out I was expecting my third I made a vow that I would do my best to stay healthy this pregnancy in both eating well and maintaining a workout plan approved by my doctor. You should always consult your prenatal provider before beginning or continuing any workout or if you have questions about what to eat.  I am happy to say that I am almost 27 weeks, eating healthy, doing a combination of cardio/ weights/yoga 3 to 4 times per week and have gained only 10 pounds so far. Most importantly I feel good!  I am by no means one of those super fit preggo moms with amazing arms (see picture, enough said). I am just a regular Mom trying to stay healthy during her third pregnancy and avoid crazy unnecessary weight gain that will be impossible for me to get off. Here are just some pointers I have learned and wanted to share, I hope you find them helpful too!

Food. Oh the love-hate relationship of a pregnant woman and food. We want it, it makes us sick, we think we want it and then it makes us sick. It’s a careful balancing act that can have most women wanting to pull their hair out. Give yourself a break, take your time find out what is going to work and what is NOT going to work, but with this in mind…You are nourishing you and your growing baby AND each trimester is different. Play around with food more and try to incorporate as many healthy fruits, veggies, lean proteins as you can with what you are craving. For example, I was/am still craving peanut butter milkshakes. I found an amazing drink at JuiceLand that includes spinach, banana, peanut butter, hemp protein and almond milk. This was a great find I get a veggie, potassium and protein with way less sugar. Of course I have given in to those bad cravings for greasy burgers and fries but you know what I have noticed when I do? I feel like crap afterwards, not because I ate something “unhealthy” literally I feel more tired and weighed down.  Find what you want and try to play with healthier options of it. I was always surprised what I ended up liking that I had never really cared for before pregnancy. This time I am crazy about cucumbers and strawberries, not that I disliked them but I would not always go for them first.

Exercise?!? The truth is staying active when you are exhausted and your body is changing and aching is tough. Honestly its tough even if you aren’t pregnant. Here is the plus, you can help minimize the fatigue, aches and pains by staying active (unless of course your doctor says not to for whatever reason). It won’t prevent it all but if you can experience less discomfort by staying active it’s worth it. As a working Mom it is easy for me to say I am too busy and there are days that I am too busy. There are also days that I can squeeze it in and I have to say when I do, I feel so much better the rest of the day. I read this funny quote on Pinterest that said “No one ever leaves the gym and says man I regret getting that workout in today”. So on Monday I look at my week and decide what days can I make it to the gym (I usually go at lunch). My goal is 2 to 3 times a week and then I try to do yoga and weights at home in the evening a couple of times a week. If I am feeling totally wiped I try to at least do arm weights while I watch some TV in the evenings after my little ones are asleep. Even getting up and doing some quick stretches while at work can make the world of difference on my back. Make a plan that works for you and your schedule. Every now and then talk to your doctor and try something new. There are tons of prenatal workouts you can find and do. If you haven’t tried prenatal yoga or swimming I highly recommend both. I can’t wait for it to heat up so I can hit the pool. The weightlessness in the pool is amazing.  

Always listen to your body and I hope you have a fit and healthy pregnancy!

2 comments: